Wednesday, August 14, 2013

5 Things I Learned About Being a YouTuber from a Blogging Convention

Hey y'all!!

I'm totally new to blogging but I’ve been in the online game over on YouTube almost a year now and decided it was time to attend my first conference. I thought the collective of women at Texas Style Council- many of the most popular fashion, lifestyle, photography, finance, design, DIY, fitness, mommy, etc. bloggers on the web today- would be a great place to develop and expand my online hobby and I might even meet some other video bloggers. The location couldn't be beat either; it was right here in Austin! Well, I didn’t meet any other YouTube peeps but I did have the pleasure of making the acquaintance of some amazing lady-bloggers who welcomed me openly, & I definitely learned quite a lot about blogging. Some material was foreign to me but I found most quite relatable to a video blog format.  I know I’m still very much a rookie in my YouTube knowledge and even more so as a blogger but I thought I’d share “5 Things I Learned About Being a YouTuber from a Blogging Convention” that I hope to apply to all of Confessions From the Vanity’s outlets and I was thinking might be helpful to anyone else curious about combining these two mediums:

 1. Invest in a Good Camera: Over and over again I saw the proof of how important visually engaging still images are for capturing the mood of a look, illustrating the movement in an subject, or conveying a story in pictures. No more during the weekend was this more apparent to me than when I attended Delightfully Tacky’s “Self Photography” class but quickly realized that the JVC hand-held video camera I’d brought with me was not going to easily capture the same beautiful pictures found on Elizabeth’s blog. She gave great tips for working with only the timer on your camera and a tripod to take your own photos (see her corresponding post here if you're interested) and I've since been eagerly researching a good quality, reasonably priced point & shoot for beginners to put my new skills to practice. Elizabeth was a fabulous speaker and an even better dancer! If having both a YouTube channel & a written blog with pictures is something you're considering I would (not be like me, and) buy a camera that can switch back and forth between the two mediums.  

 2. Maintain Consistency: A few months ago I took a YouTube Academy course for content creators. A big focus during those classes was on the importance of consistency with posts and being reliable to the people who subscribe to our channels. The speakers at Texas Style Council were reiterating the same things: about making a commitment to blog regularly and on a schedule that followers are familiar with. (FYI: Videos go up on Monday evenings over on YouTube and new blog posts on Tuesdays.) This means factoring in the time that it takes to produce and edit the material, to promote each upload on social media, and to develop a personal blog community by responding to messages, tweets, and comments and fostering those relationships. 

 3. It's a Two-Way Community: Speaking of fostering relationships with peers, I'm definitely new to the whole community building process too, but this is also the #1 reason why I decided to start Confessions from the Vanity; to connect creatively with people living miles away & "confess" with one another about clothes and makeup. I want those who come across my channel or my blog, whether they are just learning how to pair outfits or an old pro at the smoky eye or even fellow creators, not only to benefit from and enjoy the things I share but to feel like we could be friends in real-life. And real friends have a dialogue, a back and forth relationship, and even though we can’t actually be there IRL I still hope to create genuine friendships with others who engage on From the Vanity’s outreach channels and social media sites. Regularly find ways to join the conversations happening on your social platforms and make sure to respond to those who reach out. Link-up with other creators to collaborate and expand your audience. The whole point is to make friends, right?

 4. Create Original, Quality Content: I keep a note on my Evernote iPhone app called "Video Ideas" and any time a new video or post idea pops into my brain I add it to the list. Then, as I'm planning out my video/blog schedules for CFTV I reference these lists & draw upon my past inspiration. Keeping up with trends pertaining to the subject you blog about and reading other relevant content (on & off-line) really helps to be aware of the newest story or video coming down the path. But, certainly don't be afraid to try something new and take a chance on something that hasn't been done before. Each blogger has their style of blogging and you have to do what works for you and create content that reflects your own personality in the best way. You never know- it just may spark a new trend!

 5. Be Yourself; Celebrate Your Differences!: On Sunday at Texas Style Council I had the chance to listen to Mattieologie speak about the "10 Commandments of Blogging Colorfully." Mattie gave an excellent lecture and I think I instantly made a new best friend when I got the chance to meet (and hug!) her afterwards. Ultimately, what I took away from her course was that people have a lot of choices these days when it comes to finding great fashion blogs to read so finding your own voice can be a challenge. Just as each of us has our unique story to tell in life, the same applies to the virtual world of blogging. But, where in your hometown the way you dress or the things you like might not be popular or "the norm" the Internet is, like, way bigger than wherever you live! There is a niche for you out there if you want it; you just have to find where you belong, and be ready & eager for the journey.

Whether blogging by video or written word the end goal is the same- to develop substantive content that appeals to particular groups of people who share the same interests & to connect with them on a personal level. Don’t be upset if your reach isn't as wide as you'd like it to be or your followers aren't engaging as much as you'd hope. Keep on. I’m certainly still working on it also, and I have a lot to learn, and a long way to go. By no means am I claiming to have mastered any of these five things but these are some helpful tips I've gathered from my experience thus far as a YouTuber and my weekend at the conference. I certainly left Texas Style council with some new friends & memories, new goals & ideas, and some amazing new tools to achieve them. 

Do you have both a YouTube channel and a written blog? What are some more things you've found helpful as a creator? 

No comments:

Post a Comment