Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Summer Essentials

Throughout the past few months, I've found myself reaching for a few of the same products over and over again. Some are new finds I've stumbled across over the Summer and some are old stand-by's but these are the things I couldn't make it through 100 degree temps and days spent at the beach without. These are the products I've deemed my "Summer Essentials" for 2013:


HAIR
1. Aussie Kids Hair Detangling Spray: I stumbled across this product and remembered using detangler as a child so I thought, 'why not give it another go?' Now I can't remember why I ever stopped with this stuff. My hair is thick but fine so it tangles very easily and I get a lot of breakage if I'm not careful so this really helps. And healthy hair is hair that grows. The "Bloomin' Apple" scent is pretty delightful also! 

2. Not Your Mother's Beach Spray: You've heard me rave about this product on my channel before and now I'm raving about it on the blog. I. Love. This. Spray. It works wonderfully on either wet or dry hair and it doesn't weigh my hair down! I love that "London look," like you just couldn't be bothered to care, or I can achieve an even more beachy wave. Textured hair was all over the A/W 2013 runways- so spray away right into Autumn, beauty queens!

BODY
3. Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen: Always wary of putting sunscreen on my face, which remains acne-prone even into my late twenties, I was excited to see Neutrogena come out with a sunscreen specifically for your face that was also reasonably priced. I love the lightweight formula! It's smooth and moisturizing, without being overly-greasy. This goes with me in my beach/pool bag every time.

4. Victoria's Secret Noir Tease: I got this divine-smelling scent for Christmas and fell in love with it immediately. It's been living in my purse since the weather turned warm. This is the perfect "sweet-smelling with a touch of sexy" scent to throw on every day. I feel like it's not so overwhelming I'm going to suffocate my co-workers; while a little dab more on my neck and wrists before a date is sure to elicit a 'You smell wonderful,' compliment from any man.

MAKEUP
5. Baby Lips (esp. Grape): Maybelline's Baby Lips are one of those products that everyone in the beauty community seems to be talking about all the time. I don't feel like these balms do anything miraculous for my lips as far as moisturizing but I love the array colors and the ease of application. The Grape (#20) is my favorite color for summer & pretty much all year round. The stain it gives your lips adds a perfect "just nibbled on some berries" bit of sheer color to any look.

6. Almay Smart Shade: Being so fair, I'm typically hesitant about any kind of foundation that oxidizes. I decided to try the Almay Smart Shade makeup, honestly thinking I'd be able to debunk the "smartness" of it's technology when it didn't work on my skin. I don't know how this foundation does it but I am totally sold! This is a very light foundation that goes on smoothly and evenly despite the fact that it's almost the color of moisturizer when applied (I use my beauty blender). It's about a medium coverage so I find it to be the perfect fit for every day wear.

NAILS
7. Essie "DJ Play That Song": A new color Summer 2013 collection, I've been painting this gorgeous neon purple on my toes practically all summer! I'm a big fan of neon colors when the heat revs up but the brightness can sometimes be too much for work events. I love that this hue from Essie gives me that "Summer feeling" with bright toes peeking out from my open-toed shoes but is still "muted" enough for the office.

8. Essie "Mint Candy Apple": Mint has been a popular color for a few seasons now so it's no surprise I'm loving this shade for my fingers this summer. Not only do I enjoy the subtle pop of color and surprising neutrality of this shade, but I also sported "Mint Nails for Talia" non-stop in memory and attribution of a dearly beloved beauty guru lost too soon. This gorgeous color comes and goes throughout my repertoire each season but remains a staple.

LIFE
9. Sunglasses: Along with makeup, clothes, shoes, and jewelry- I confess an addiction to sunglasses! I bought at least 10 "shades" in different shades (sorry, sorry- just had to get that pun in there!) this summer and still want more! In Texas a good pair of sunglasses is a must throughout the year. For Emily a cheap pair of sunglasses is a must throughout life as I lose, break, and generally mangle most any pair of sunnies I buy. Sunglasses add a great accent to any outfit or hairstyle and come in so many different colors and shapes- who knew avoiding unsightly crow's feet could be so stylish?!

10. An adorable Cover-Up: This seems to be a constant quest of mine; the perfect cover-up to go with every swimsuit. I've got the sarong, the ruched top, the terrycloth wrap, and my personal fave: a see-through embellished tunic. When out at the pool or beach I'm still hoping look cute enough to pop-in to the local ice cream shop and not scare people so I look for a cover up that is fashionable and conservative.

What are your absolute Summer essentials? What products will you carry over into Autumn? Join the conversation below or over on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment